April 25, 2023
Lloydminster, AB/SK – The Downtown Façade and Building Improvement Program is now accepting applications to support downtown businesses in enhancing their storefronts and improving the overall aesthetic appeal of the city’s central business district.
As part of the Downtown Area Rehabilitation Plan (DARP), the program aims to revitalize the downtown area and stimulate economic growth.
“As the heart of any city, the downtown core plays a crucial role in creating a vibrant and welcoming community. By investing in downtown businesses and enhancing the area’s visual appeal, we’re supporting local entrepreneurs and creating a destination that will retain existing businesses and attract visitors, residents and new businesses,” says Katlin Ducherer, Economic Development Officer. “The Downtown Façade and Building Improvement Program is a key step in our efforts to revitalize and promote economic growth in our city’s central business district.”
Downtown businesses can apply for the following funding models to support exterior improvements:
- Level 1: Matching grant of $2,000 – $5,000 for improving storefronts, signage, exterior finishing, sidewalk displays, and urban landscape adjustments.
- Level 2: Administered by Community Futures Lloydminster and Region and the Downtown Façade and Buidling Improvement Program, this level includes a loan up to $25,000 with 25% forgivable through the grant. This funding includes complete exterior improvements.
- Level 3: Temporary relocation or pop-up rental grant of $6,000, available only for businesses impacted by Phase 1 construction of the Central Business District Replacement Program.
- Level 4: Building rehabilitation or demolition grant of $45,000.
Approved design changes that businesses may include in their improvement projects are:
- accessibility, safety and inclusivity
- permeability and frontages
- awnings and canopy improvements
- building material improvements
- exterior doors and entrances
- lighting Improvements
- seasonal element improvements
- signage improvements (must meet land use bylaw requirements)
The Downtown Façade and Building Improvement Program (Level 2) funding is subject to DARP and Community Futures Lloydminster and Region approval.
For more information about the Downtown Façade and Building Improvement Program, including eligibility requirements and application procedures, visit Lloydminster.ca/Downtown.