Whether you’re a new homeowner or have owned a home for decades, lowering your utility bill is one of the fastest ways to save money on your housing costs. But with electricity rates getting higher and higher, this can feel like an uphill battle. Here are my best tips on how to lower your bill just in time for summer air conditioning costs:
– Get an energy audit. Most energy companies will do a free audit of your home to see where you can reduce your energy usage and save money.
– Install dimmer switches. By reducing the amount of power the lighting takes, you’ll save energy and money. Bonus: your rooms will automatically feel much cozier.
– Install ceiling fans. Ceiling fans have an upfront cost, but they’ll save you money by circulating the cool air throughout your rooms.
– Change the HVAC filter regularly. When your HVAC filter is dirty, your air conditioner has to use more power to suck in the air. If you live in a hot area where the air conditioner is on for long periods of time, try changing the filter monthly.
– Get regular maintenance for your HVAC. Save yourself from melting away because of a broken air conditioner and save money on energy by getting your HVAC system serviced each year.
– Switch to LEDs. LED light bulbs use much less energy than other lights and they don’t put off much heat, which will decrease your air conditioning needs.
– Add landscapes for shade. Spend a little money this summer putting in shady plants around your house. Your house will stay cooler, and you’ll reap the rewards for years to come!
Now that you’ve saved money on your electric bill, you can put that money somewhere more fun like a vacation or savings for a new home!